6th Annual Seattle Erotic Art Festival

Last night, My girlfriend Katie and I arrived at the Seattle Center Exhibition Hall around 7:30 to a room still less than a 1/3 full of people. On one side was the visual art exhibit with mostly 2D art and about a handful of sculpture pieces. There was a main stage lead by the master of ceremonies Aleksa Manila and an aerial stage to the rear for well, aerial performances. A wet bar served up cocktails, beer and non-alcoholic beverages of which I chose to indulge, some Jose Cuervo tequila. And the food, well I sort of expected something more erotic like chocolates or an erotic cake or ice sculpture. I did have a cup of coffee in between tequilas.

Festival goers were given a chance to vote up to three visual works and three performances for the “Viewer’s Choice Awards”. One of my favorite performances was a bondage suspension act performed by Sophia & Leopold. The scene involves them going on a picnic with a basket full of rope. Leopold was covered head and face to toe in blue spandex which certainly enhanced Sophia’s role as protagonist. She was dressed up like some coed from a ice cream shop in the American 1950s. Sophia ties her partner up so that he is suspended flat on his back like the seat of a swing. Needless to say Sophia was very fond of this piece of playground equipment and I don’t think Leopold minded the fact that she wore high heels to the park that day too.

Today, the SEAF website boasted over 1500 visitors to the gala. As the evening played on, the crowd attire became more interesting I almost couldn’t tell if they were performers or just on a night out on the town. I wore a dress shirt, tie and slacks but there was a little bit of everything there: feathered boas, tail feathers, leather vests, handlebar mustaches, speedos, fishnet apparel, leashes attached to necks, masks, face paints and accessories, Hugh Hefner style dinner jackets, corsets, nipple pasties, color changing eye contacts, thongs, cowboy hats and chaps, lingerie an even a cub scout outfit. There was zero nudity (if you count pasties as clothing) except for the art on display.

The gala went on until 2am but Katie and I left closer to 10pm. Next time I would get plenty of sleep before hand or get there around 9pm. There was plenty to see all throughout the night with performances an music. We got our picture taken on a medium-format Polaroid before we left and although the coat check line was long, you could still enjoy a drink and a show while you wait. When we left there were dozens of people lined up at the ticket window trying to get in. Job well done to everyone that put this thing together, it was a positive and pleasant experience.
I recommend the Seattle Erotic Art Festival to my blog visitors, I think it will just get better the more people get involved. I also highly recommend more artists to participate and don’t worry about your level of skill, after all I think amateurs have a huge role to play in erotic arts. Although I would urge amateur performers to practice, practice, practice. Bring some friends. Try a scavenger hunt. Here, I’ll get the list started for next year’s gala event.

1.) Green feathered boas.
2.) Strap-On
3.) Rope (actual rope)
4.) A celebrity ( I didn’t know anyone there…)
5.) A schoolteacher…